Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cranberry Orange Turkey Breast

This recipe is modified from Easy and Delicious Turkey Breast on page 196 of the Fix It and Forget It crockpot cookbook. I made these changes based on what I had in the house and I think it will always make it like this in the future. Basically, instead of cranberry sauce and onion soup mix, I put in fresh ingredients.

Cranberry Orange Turkey Breast

1.5 lbs of boneless, skinless free range turkey breast
~ 1.5 cups of fresh, whole cranberries, bad ones thrown away
1 medium yellow onion
1/2 cup orange juice
1/8 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Combine in slow cooker. Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

The funny thing is that I cooked it on high because I misread the recipe. It turned excellently. That being said, I would cook it on low next time. Also, the original recipe calls for 1 turkey breast. The other turkey breast recipes assume a 4-6 lb turkey breast. I think that free range turkeys might be smaller than industrial-raised turkeys. The free range turkeys will have much more flavor and you know that they can actually walk since they haven't been bred to have over-large breasts, so large that they tip forward and can't move. Anyway, my point is that you may be able to use a larger breast in this recipe. I cooked a turkey breast instead of chicken because I think it's always good to change the kind of meat we're eating. You get different nutrients from different foods. The free-range turkey was on sale this week at Whole Foods. As Micah would say, "Wee-oo hee-oo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment