Sunday, January 3, 2010

Coleslaw

The original coleslaw was made with green cabbage and pink lady apples. Pink lady apples have a very bold sweet flavor. I can't remember if I put sugar in it or not. This version was the perfect combination of sweet and tangy without being tart.

The second time I made this I used red cabbage and some kind of apple similar to a wine sap (I forgot the name...black something, maybe black twig). When I was making the sauce I thought it needed sugar (it wasn't in my original recipe as I wrote it down originally). I added 1 Tbs of sugar. This version was more tart and didn't have the same sweet and tangy flavor that the original did. It was good but not as good as the first time.

The difference in flavor could be attributed to some combination of the following: the red cabbage, or the type of apple, or the amount of sugar. I would possibly add 1/4 of sugar to a future recipe instead of 1 Tbs because I remember a mound of sugar in the pot the first time I made it.

I think what makes this recipe so good is rice vinegar substituted for white vinegar. Rice vinegar is my favorite vinegar. I think white wine vinegar has a similar flavor.

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Sarina's Coleslaw

Chop finely or grate into a large bowl:
1/4 large green or red or combination cabbage
1/4 large white onion
4 medium carrots
1/2 apple

Combine in saucepan and heat until hot:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs sugar or honey (or perhaps 1/4 cup)
1 tsp salt
Pour over veggies, mix well, cover and refrigerate.
Serve cold.

-------

Taken from the following two recipes:

1) www.kretschmannfarm.com
Sweet-and-Sour Red Cabbage and Apple Salad--Slice cabbage thin, cut 1 apple into 1/2" cubes, slice 1 green pepper into thin strips, chop 1 small onion finely, toss. Cook 1/2c wine vinegar, 1T honey, 1/2t caraway seeds,1/8t black pepper and cloves until mixture just begins to boil. Pour hot mixture over salad and toss well. Let stand for 30 min. before serving.

2) (I don't remember the website.)

Colorful Coleslaw

Ingredients:

* 3 pounds grated cabbage
* 1 diced green bell pepper
* 1 diced red or yellow bell pepper
* 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
* 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
* 3/4 cup white vinegar
* 1 cup Splenda or sugar
* 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
* 1 tablespoon salt

Directions:

Combine all vegetables in a large bowl. Mix the other ingredients together in a saucepan
. Heat over a medium heat until hot. Pour mixture over vegetables. Mix well and refrigerate for at least three hours. Serve cold.

Variation: Use cider vinegar instead of white vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment